Associate of Applied Science
Credits Required: 80
Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association, 211 E. Chicago Ave., Chicago, IL 60611 Phone: (800) 621-8099
Graduates may pursue a bachelor’s degree at area colleges or through on-line options. Meet with an Enrollment Services representative or the Program Chair for more information.
All graduates are eligible to take the Dental Hygiene National Board and regional/ state licensure exams in Dental Hygiene. The Board exams include the course material studied in Nutrition, Biology, and Chemistry as well as the Dental Hygiene course material. Students who elect to take the restorative option and successfully complete it will be eligible to take the Ohio Commission on Dental Testing Examination for Expanded Functions Dental Auxiliary.
The Ohio State Dental Board (OSDB) has restrictions on granting licensure to individuals who have prior felony convictions or mental incompetence. Check the OSDB Website (www.dental.ohio.gov) for further information.
Background checks are required for clinical rotations and community projects.
The American Dental Hygienists’ Association (ADHA):
Students are required to maintain student membership in the ADHA (the professional organization for dental hygienists) as part of program requirements.
This program is designed to prepare graduates for positions in private dental offices; hospitals; managed care organizations; federal, state, and municipal health departments; primary and secondary school systems; private businesses; industry; correctional institutions; and private and public centers for pediatric, geriatric, and other groups with special needs. Emphasis is placed on the relation between prevention, education, the clinical phases of dental hygiene practice and the basic and social sciences. Students also receive instruction and hands-on experience in clinical dental hygiene and expanded functions of dentistry.
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrates ethical conduct in dental hygiene care.
- Demonstrates professional identity and personal and professional conduct.
- Provides a safe, healthy and compliant work environment.
- Demonstrates the Dental Hygiene Model of Care (Assessment, Dental Hygiene Risk Assessment, Planning, Implementation, Evaluation).
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrates effective written and oral communication.
- Demonstrates the ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
- Demonstrates effective oral health education in the community.