This major prepares students for the following career categories: Medical Office Assistant; Medical Receptionist; Medical Office Specialist. The Medical Office Support program prepares individuals, under the supervision of office managers and other professionals, to perform administrative duties in a medical, clinical, or health care facility/system office environment. Includes instruction in general office skills, data processing, office equipment operations, principles of medical record-keeping and business regulations, medical/clinical office procedures and communication skills.
Department of Business Technologies
Accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) through February 15, 2022. For more information concerning accreditation standards contact the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP), 11520 West 119th Street, Overland Park, Kansas, 66213, phone number 913-339-9356, web address www.acbsp.org.
Student Learning Outcomes
Student will be able to:
- Demonstrate competency in the use of computer application software.
- Demonstrate effective communication.
- Apply workplace skills related to the field of office administration.
- Employ appropriate customer service skills.
- Identify and perform basic problem solving and critical thinking skills to solve problems.
- Demonstrate effective research skills and tools related to the job.
- Identify medical ethics and law pertinent to the allied health and related professions.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of medical terminology.
- Demonstrate the understanding of patient data, billing, insurances, and collections.
Students are required to complete a professional portfolio as a part of the OAD program. The portfolio starts with one of the first courses (OAD 135 ) and is submitted for assessment in OAD 293 .